"In this passing over,
if it is to be perfect,
all intellectual activities must be left behind
and the height of our affection
must be totally transferred and transformed
This, however, is mystical and most secret,
which no one knows
except him who receives it,
no one receives
except him who desires it,
and no one desires except him
who is inflamed in his very marrow by the fire of the Holy Spirit
whom Christ sent into the world.
And therefore the Apostle says that
this mystical wisdom is revealed
by the Holy Spirit."
Cf. Luke 12:49
Cf, 1Cor. 2:10ff.
1928-2014 Development and History of the Little Portion of St. Francis Fraternity
In 1928 the Slovak Franciscan Friars established a Friary and Shrine known as Seven Dolors Shine. Now it is known as Our Lady of Sorrows Parish. In 1958 they built the Friary Chapel.
In 1967 the location became Our Lady of Sorrows Parish. The Franciscan Fathers and Brothers were here until December of 1996. The last Franciscan Pastor was Fr. Michael Lenz O.F.M. The original charter for the Little Portion of St. Francis was established in March of 1962 at St. Paul’s Church in Valparaiso Indiana. They began with 25 Members on February 14, 1954 under the leadership of Father Gilbert Maga, O. F. M.
Communications in our file show correspondence with this group until approximately 1968. The group established at St. Paul’s was then combined with the group at the Seven Dolors Shrine in the sixties which was under the direction of Fr. Richard Portasik, O.F.M. In 1982 correspondence was received from Fr. Richard Portasik indicating that he was updating a membership register of fraternities and solicited the help of Father David Kohut, O.F.M. , who was then at the Seven Dorlors Shrine. During 1979-80, an inquiry was made regarding the establishment of a Third Order and thus the Little Portion of St. Francis began with two individuals and has since grown. In 2002 six members from Whiting Indiana were transferred to the Little Portion. We meet once a month on the second Sunday at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish. Currently in 2014 we have 34 Members. Six members were recently professed in 2013. We are most blessed to receive Spiritual formation from our Spiritual Assistant Fr. Sergius Wroblewski, O.F.M. Thanks be to God!